Loving Your Locks: 8 Tips & Tricks to Maintain Your Curls
Your luscious locks deserve all the love in the world! We know maintenance on a budget and time crunch can be a hassle, so we’ve come up with a simple list of seven tips and tricks you can do without flexing the wallet! So many of you want to know the best ways to maintain and sustain your hair, so without further ado, here are our top picks!
1. Know Your Hair Type
- While you may share your curly locks with others, it’s important to understand that no hair is the same. Your hair has its own personality, and before you seek to help your hair, it’s important that you understand your hair’s personality. Know what goals you have for your hair and what type of hair you have. In case you don’t know, take this hair quiz on our site to understand what hair type you are and what type of product works the best for you!
2. Comb the Curls
- If you’ve been brushing your curls, stop reading right now, and toss away your brush. If there’s anything that you take away from this article, it should be to toss the brush and opt for a wide tooth comb instead. Brushing your curls breaks them up and creates tons of frizz, which no one wants. Invest in high quality combs if possible – trust me, your hair will thank you.
- Curly hair, more than any other hair type, needs a lot of moisture to preserve natural volume and density of the hair. Curly hair tends to be drier than straight hair, so skip the daily shampooing, as it only dries your hair out more. Instead, shampoo every other day or every few days, if possible. Make sure you choose shampoos that are mild that don’t strip away natural moisture and oils and don’t forget to lather on the conditioner after.
4. Cue the Conditioner
- To protect the essence of your gorgeous curls, you should never skip the conditioner - and don’t be shy with the amount you use.
- Although so many of us love warm showers and soaking in the heat, unfortunately, your curls don’t feel the same way. Hot water opens up the hair cuticle and then dries it out, which contributes to lots of frizz, later on. Although, washing your hair with cold water closes the hair cuticle, which leads to less frizzy and more glowy/shiny hair.
- Minimize how much you use your electric appliances, such as blow dryers, flat irons, curling irons, etc. These thermal tools often lead to breakage of your beloved locks. When you have time, opt for air drying instead of blow drying. If using these items is a must, opt for more high-quality items that contain ionic properties, which do a better job of protecting your hair than your standard appliances.
7. Spray? No Way.
- When you can, stray away from hairsprays and mousses. Often, the alcohol within these products tends to dry, and therefore damage, your hair. No one wants crunchy curls!
- Like we talked about earlier, preserving your hair’s natural moisture is a top priority. Satin pillowcases help you do just that – they help your curls retain their natural moisture when you sleep.
Well, I hope these quick tips and tricks will help you maintain your beautiful locks! If you’re looking for natural, custom-curated products to blossom your hair with, shop here and find the product curated just for you.